Organized in 1852 with seventeen members, The Central Baptist Church of Pawling dedicated its meeting house in the fall of 1853. In 1876 the church edifice was moved to a new location where it was enlarged, remodeled and refinished. On the evening of June 8, 1879 the church was destroyed by fire although most of the furniture was saved. With a generous community and the insurance ($4000) the present church was erected, furnished and paid for within a year at the cost of nearly $8000. The church was rededicated June 16, 1880. Many other changes have taken place since then including the addition of the Erle Clark Christian Center which was dedicated in 1982 along with the new downstairs Sunday School rooms. More than a building, our church is a group of people who have accepted Jesus’ invitation to come to Him to find rest for our souls. Through the Bible, the Holy Spirit, and each other, we are learning to live in that rest and to make it a reality in every area of our lives.